I assumed it would be fairly simple to find a set of knights or something similar, so I easily agreed. It was not easy, in fact I only found one. Bobby Bobbs was drawn by Orpha Kliner as part of a family series of paper dolls and published July 1925. It is now in the public domain, but the only image I found was on flickr and the user had disabled downloading and printing. I made a screen shot, tweaked the image in photoshop, and printed the page out. (Not an infringement of rights since the image is in the public domain.)
I laminated the page and cut the boy and his outfits out. Then I made a "Paper Adventure" book with appropriate backgrounds to go with the outfits. I laminated the few pages of the book, and bound it. I put removable adhesive on the back off all the clothes, and J has had a wonderful time changing the outfits and sending the little boy off on adventures. The outfits are: an aviation suit, a fishing outfit, a baseball uniform, radio operator pajamas, and a "best suit" with fourth of July accessories; there is also a dog and some other accessories like a radio and some fish.
This is a great activity to throw in your purse - its small (5.5" x8.5") and the pieces all stick to the pages so they won't get lost. It can be played with quietly, and is a nice change from the coloring books that I usually give J when he has to sit quietly for an hour. If you have girls there are a bazillion cute little paper dolls that would be easy to make a book with. You could also print onto magnet sheets and have a magnetic play scene instead.
The dog house image I used was not in the public domain - as soon as I get a chance I will find a free image and upload the book I made.
No comments:
Post a Comment