The vinyl that I use comes in 24" wide 30 foot rolls wrapped around a 3" core. It is supposed to be supported by the cardboard core during storage so as to not activate the adhesives. When I only had 4 colors, it was ok to stack them under the desk - but I have reached a point where that is no longer possible. So, I went down to the hardware store, and ended up with a decent little storage rack. I have limited tools - I only used a dremel and hack saw, so I used PVC pipe - easy to cut and cheap in case I messed up. If you have a drill press and band saw this could be made from wood for a prettier and more durable rack.
To make this exact rack, you will need the following supplies (cost me $11 at lowes) and half an hour:
- one ten foot length of 1" pvc pipe
- two 1 1/4" pvc pipe "L" joint corner connectors
- six 30" lengths of 5/8" dowel rod
- six 24" wide 30' long rolls of vinyl
I got halfway to the register before I realized that a 10' section of PVC just wouldn't fit in my car. The guy at lowes cut it into two four foot pieces with a two foot section leftover. The "L" joints add enough extra length that it worked out perfectly - and it was free to have it cut. You can obviously bring it home to cut yourself.
I measured the height of my rolls to make sure that I was leaving adequate space between each one. On the right side, I drilled a hoe in one side of the PVC pipe. I left the other side solid to help keep the dowel in place.
No comments:
Post a Comment